Sunday, April 29, 2012

Today is the 20th Anniversary of the L.A. Riots


I live in South Central, very close to USC's campus (I have to due to my job) where some of the riots took place.

And while we have some issues from time to time, life is pretty calm here. It's hard to believe the riots took place right here 20 years ago. It's also hard to believe that issues like race and equality are still a problem.

People around here will tell you that the riots meant more than Rodney King, it was the symbol of inequality and injustice. Folks just had enough of the system and the Rodney King verdict was the final straw.

The message hit the country like a bomb, I think it was then South Central was clearly on the map. Now 20 years later, we move forward. But I wonder if we see something like the L.A. riots again.

3 comments:

truthspew said...

Yes, and the racial inequality still exists today. It's going to boil over eventually.

I think every city in the country has had riots over racial tensions within the last hundred years. I know the 1960's here in Providence were tumultuous.

Anonymous said...

I was working for GapKids that day and all the street stores in NYC and on Long Island closed. I was in Cedarhurst, a 99.9% Jewish town. Our store closed early on Fridays and the banks were closed on Saturdays but open on Sunday.

When I lived in DC you could still see some of the damage done there from the '68 riots. The recent housing boom hasn't removed all the scars yet.

Yes, it can and will happen again because racism and inequality still remain.

Stan said...

Hold on to your hat! Let's see if George Zimmerman gets off for the murder of Trayvon Martin.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.