Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Missouri State GOP Rep Zach Wyatt Comes Out

Rep. Zachary Wyatt took a bold step today by not only coming out against Missouri's “Don’t Say Gay” bill, but coming out of the closet.

Here's more:
Speaking in Hearing Room 5 at the State Capitol, Wyatt condemned what he called a “horrible bill” that would make illegal nearly all discussions on homosexuality in public schools, including conversations between students and school staff about their own sexuality.

Wyatt, who last week issued a statement addressing his concerns on the bill and related his experiences being bullied as a child, called on his fellow Republicans to join him in the fight against bullying and in removing HB2051 from consideration.

“Today I ask you to stand with me as a proud Republican, a proud veteran, and a proud gay man who wants to protect all kids, addressing bullying in our schools,” Wyatt said.
He also had more to say:
“I will not lie to myself anymore about my own sexuality. It has probably been the hardest thing to come to terms with. I have always ignored it. I didn’t even think about it or want to talk about it. I’ve not been immune to it. I hear the comments, usually snide ones, about me,” Wyatt said.

“I am not the first or last Republican to come out. I have just gotten tired of the bigotry being shown on both sides of the aisle on gay issues. Being gay has never been a Republican or Democrat issue, and it should never be.”
Good for you, Zach!

source

 Please watch the video after the jump


2 comments:

Stan said...

Good for him but why I ask is he a Republican?

Anonymous said...

What Stan said.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.