Tuesday, May 15, 2012

First Look at the First X-Men


Neal Adams and Christos Gage are bring the "First X-Men" a new comic from Marvel. Bleeding Cool reported this earlier, but now we have so info from the famed artist, Neal Adams:
“You guys probably know I was at one time associated with X-Men…then they canceled the book. I had great fondness for the original X-Men, had the time of my life, then they canceled it. At the beginning, Stan and Jack were experimenting. You had Professor X, bald and in a wheelchair. These strange kids already in costume. It seems to me like this was not the beginning of the story, but the middle. Of all the mutants on Earth, Professor X could easily pass as a human. Why would he want to get involved in this? Maybe all this was going on before Professor X was Professor X…when Professor X was a teenager. Maybe mutant kids were getting abused by the military, by the government. Somebody would have been looking out for them, but maybe that person came to Charles Xavier, realizing he couldn’t protect these kids. That was my pitch. Marvel was very generous to provide Christos Gage to me, who is an expert in all this stuff. He’s taking my pitch and turning it into scripts that are in my opinion groundbreaking. 

It’s the X-Men before there were X-Men. How deeply is Wolverine entrenched in the X-Men? Why was this first team…maybe a failure? Lots of questions to answer. The natural instinct is that this is like the ‘X-Men: First Class’ movie, but it’s not. We didn’t mind stealing the Nazi Hunter version of Magneto though. There’s a character who calls himself Bombastic Aghast, but they call him Bomb. Wolverine saves him from a cave-in then gives him a leather jacket that fits like a tent. He looks ridiculous, but he thinks it’s his costume. Later, Wolverine buys him a jacket that fits, but he throws it back in his face. That jacket means so much to him and represents his relationship with Wolverine. That’s the origin of his costume… There will be early versions of the Sentinels. I did the giant ones, now I’m getting to do different one."
I don't know about this. I mean, Wolverine? Let's stop using him for Goddess' sake! And why do we need an early X-Men story? I feel like we have enough back stories, let's move forward.

2 comments:

WilsonW said...

Agreed Vik. This just feels stupid. Let's milk Wolverine for all he's worth. Sick to death of him being in every book and on every team it seems. I just don't see this adding to anything worthwhile.

Rusty said...

LOL the other OTHER first class
stop it.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.