Thursday, August 27, 2009

Bears are In, Twinks are OUT


Interesting article about the power of bears (burly gay men for those who don't know). I always thought thick men was the deal, but now I think the rest of gay world is catching up.

Here's a sample of the article:

The chubby, hairy gays are way better organized as a community and, as gym fascism wanes a bit, they've ratcheted up their acceptance as available sexual objects (which is good news for my own trajectory, especially if I gain just five more pounds and a hint of taint stubble). They're more in tune with the earthier, less narcissistic era we're apparently entering (though their occasional distaste for effeminacy makes me fear for just the kind of internal LGBT oppression they're supposedly running from). And now, they're heading toward the big screen in BearCity, a fictional feature co-written by entertainment journalist Lawrence Ferber and director Douglas Langway, who are shooting everywhere from the Ramrod to the Eagle.

The gay community is looking for a more natural look, and, as we become more accepted, it feels like it's more mainstream. We're building a new generation of gay people who have options to look any way they want, whether that be drag queen or muscle bear. I think beards and hair and masculinity are becoming more powerful than sleek and slender and smooth. The bear sensibility allows gays to not have to act as anything but themselves.


Is this the second coming? Go here for the full piece

6 comments:

lelocolon said...

Give it to Michael Musto to now jump in in the bear crave. This is going on for quite some time now. But hey I am glad, he at least wrote something on the subject. Better late than never.

buff said...

Yes, fuzzystud, it is the second coming.

This article and recent articles like it proclaim this, the year of the bear.

Furry muscle and fuzzy face dudes portray honesty and sincerety that gets other guys going. Their mega hairy muscle hugs speak louder than words.

WOOOF

Anonymous said...

My thing about bears is that I've long been attracted to giant hairy men, but when they get one look at my bean pole body. They don't want me.

It may be Year of the Bear, but I'm marching on something until Bears open their love to ALL!

Prince Todd said...

Okay, I'm not really into bears. If he's hairy he has to be like Magnum P.I. or Hugh Jackman as Wolverine...
if he's a bit on the thick side the less hair the better. I can't deal with both at once.

Just great...I had to come of age when skinny boys are going out of style. BLEAH!

kayman said...

Well, at least there is some "diversity" persay. However when is just being you going to be in style?

Prince Todd said...

touche' Kayman.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.