Monday, June 6, 2011

DC Comics brings us our First African Batman in Batwing #1

DC Comics announces a new character to the DC universe. Meet David Zavimb, the Batman of Africa.


"Batwing #1 is a series that spins right out of Grant Morrison's Batman Incorporated storyline. This is the first time that we have an in-continuity black character wearing the Batman costume," said Batman group editor Mike Marts. "Grant has provided us with so many new characters and concepts. He's really just been a fountain of ideas and energy for the Batman group of titles. We have so many different cool things to choose from what Grant creates, and we go with what we think is going to provide readers with the most story and the most excitement. And with this, Batwing won out."

source

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a good start. I love it.

Damien said...

Cool.

apitt said...

I always wondered about a black Batman. I am finally glad it is coming true.

WilsonW said...

I don't.....why do all black characters have to come from the Hood or Africa? I mean, not that it will last long as DC is about to "Infinite Crisis" their whole universe. Or will this be after the reboot?? I'd rather a black Robin or a new black hero that isn't tied to any legacy at all. He looks like Iron Man with a Bat motif.

Unknown said...

negative nancy that I am, i'm nonplussed by this news. I see this Batwing going the same route of Steel. No real impact in the comic universe. Just another black guy with the stamp/logo of a popular hero (War Machine, Steel).
I've yet to become a fan of Judd Winick, so I'm not running for that.
And how many writers can write an African Man and his adventures in Africa. I think this book will be cancelled by issue 23... then he'll probably join their Justice League International.
My favorite ethnic characters have always been Storm, Bishop, and Forge. I wish DC could get on board with that.
I'm very hopefull that Geoff Johns and Jim Lee will update Cyborg!

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.