Thursday, June 16, 2011

Interesting Quote: Brandon Floyd


My father went to work every day. He attended every single parent/teacher conference, and was the first one at any extracurricular event I participated in –even as it became obvious that it would always be school plays, and never a football game. He knew that he was a good provider, and the best parent that he could be. But I imagine that noticing that his only son might be gay made him feel like he had failed at being a good man –because he had been told that a good man raises his son to be the same, and a good man is not a gay man. So I watched my father work to appreciate me, and separate the son he was raising from the son that he thought I should be. I’m sure that for so many fathers of gay men the struggle is quite the same: working against the confines of traditional masculinity.
This is a great piece about a gay boy being raised by his father.

source

1 comment:

Bob said...

My father was much the same way.
A great story.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.