Saturday, June 18, 2011

What I'm learning so far at Netroots Nation


I have to say I am having a great time here at Netroots Nation. I'm learning so much about the progressive movement. In fact, it is challenging my views about where I stand on several issues.

My LGBT stance is mostly the same, but I am seeing where the government can be pushed harder to send a message. Sometimes in order to make things happen, you need to make it happen. I think as a 'Worker for the people' you need to set examples. The Right Wing has no problems doing that; the Left has to do the same.

My blind stance on Obama is actually changing. I'm still a Ride Or Die chick for him, but I will start questioning where are we heading on our road trip.

I also realized my voice is valuable within the Black community as well. I will make more of a commitment to reach out the overall community about LGBT issues. Some think Black and LGBT communities won't ever mix well. I can't accept that and if I can do something to change it, well dammit I will. So, I've been thinking about some ideas for my organization, the Jordan Rustin Coalition.

I have one more day of the conference and I'm sure, it's going to be a blast.

2 comments:

David Dust said...

I am so glad you were able to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity.

And I'm also glad to see that you haven't stabbed John Aravosis in the neck. Yet.

XOXOXOXOXO

Wonder Man said...

No, I'm a gentleman

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.