Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hera, take me Now! There are Black Teabaggers!


I must be dreaming!

Yes, there are Black Teabaggers! I know, I know it's crazy. And these folks are damn proud of it.
They've been called Oreos, traitors and Uncle Toms, and are used to having to defend their values. Now black conservatives are really taking heat for their involvement in the mostly white tea party movement—and for having the audacity to oppose the policies of the nation's first black president.

"I've been told I hate myself. I've been called an Uncle Tom. I've been told I'm a spook at the door," said Timothy F. Johnson, chairman of the Frederick Douglass Foundation, a group of black conservatives who support free market principles and limited government.

"Black Republicans find themselves always having to prove who they are. Because the assumption is the Republican Party is for whites and the Democratic Party is for blacks," he said.

Johnson and other black conservatives say they were drawn to the tea party movement because of what they consider its commonsense fiscal values of controlled spending, less taxes and smaller government. The fact that they're black—or that most tea partyers are white—should have nothing to do with it, they say.

Have they seen the pictures, the news or anything lately? Teabaggers are not the best of friends with the minorities. I don't know what these folks are thinking. However, to each their own I guess.

No one said we all should be on the same team, but I thought this was the one issue we all agreed on.

P.S. My mama is praying for these people.

source

4 comments:

Stan said...

Wow! You learn something every day but what are these folks thinking? It always amazes me how some folks will join up with something against their own best interest.

Unknown said...

No one was talking about fiscal conservatism when W was running up the debt.

Kyle Leach said...

V, I'm pretty sure they just want a their piece of the pie. Unfortunately, they haven't figured out that pie has been set aside for others.

J. Clarence said...

I am not surprised that there are Black republicans. If you are a well off individual, and desire less government regulation and spending, i.e. less taxes, then it would make sense. Black people shouldn't have to vote monolithically.

I'm not at all surprised that there might be Black people drawn to the Tea Party movement. For all of its faults, the Tea Party isn't a structured centralized movement but rather just fragments of people angry at the government for stuff.

Where I fault Johnson and the rest of the Frederick Douglass Foundation is their notion that anything in the tea party movement remotely implies common sense fiscal values. To this day I have yet to hear one clear concise message or proposal put forth by Sarah Palin and the rest of her ilk. They are just angry people; and that is fine, it just isn't very constructive.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.