Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Gov. Bob McDonnell believes Slavery wasn't Significant


Last Friday, Gov. Bob McDonnell declared April to be Confederate History Month on his website. Many folks were outraged and appalled by this gesture, and thought it was highly insensitive.

However, some peeps mentioned that slavery wasn't noted in his announcement. But, Bob left that out because he didn't think it was significant:

McDonnell said Tuesday that the move was designed to promote tourism in the state, which next year will mark the 150th anniversary of the start of the war. McDonnell said he did not include a reference to slavery because “there were any number of aspects to that conflict between the states. Obviously, it involved slavery. It involved other issues. But I focused on the ones I thought were most significant for Virginia.

I don't know how to take that statement. Slavery was significant, in so many ways. And maybe it's just me, but when you talk about the Confederacy and the many things it stood for, I can't help but think about slavery and racial issues besetting it.

I still think it was a bad move on Bob's part.

source

7 comments:

robertga99 said...

Yep, Bad move!

Allen said...

are you kidding me? Did he really? What was he thinking?

Every time I see that flag, it makes my stomach do flips.

ugh, Why can't we all just get along?

Allen

Bob said...

Slavery was significant, and had an impact in and on, every state in the union, whether they were free states or slave states, and for this asshat to decide otherwise is a salute to his own ignorance and lack of intelligence.

YvesPaul said...

I don't know how that would boost tourism at all. It doesn't make me want to visit any more. Actually, way less.

Kyle Leach said...

VA is a terribly backward member of the union, take it from me I grow up there. I'm not sure whites in the south will ever get over loosing the Civil War. Bigotry and hatred run rampant in the veins of the state and many of the people living there. The only reason to do this was to promote an intolerant idocracy and rewrite that part of history to their own liking.

Unknown said...

I guess their tourist will be for Klan gatherings.

Ron Buckmire said...

Nah, it's just you. No one else thinks about slavery when they see "the stars and bars" and hears talk about "Confederate History" and "Confederate pride" or "the war of northern aggression."

CRACK

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.