Monday, March 2, 2009

Possible Movie ideas about other Impressive LGBT folks

I saw Milk yesterday and was moved by his story, Penn's performance and what was accomplished during that time.

Later, I realized there are more LGBT folks who should have their stories told as well. So, I'm going to list a few LGBT movers and shakers that deserve a LOGO movie at least.

Sylvester
Before RuPaul, there was Sylvester. The True Queen of Disco made a huge statement during his reign on the radio. His voice was powerful, his style was unique and his story is far from ordinary.



















Audre Lorde
Activist, writer, teacher and leader. Her contributions to our movement is extraordinary.















Gay Liberation Front
This is was the first group to form after the Stonewall riots. This group was passionate about militarism, racism, and sexism. Also they had some interesting views too.




















Rasclyffe Hall
She lived her life as an out lesbian and wrote The Well of Loneliness, known as the most important lesbian novel ever published.




















Bayard Rustin
His work with Dr. King has been the best kept secret for years. His story should be told for all to know his great achievements.




















This is just a short list, but I would love if we had more movies that reflect our contributions to history and to social change.

7 comments:

Joy said...

When you have a chance, maybe you could write about them. I'd like to know more.

Son of Baldwin said...

You know what surprises me? That there's not a James Baldwin film in the works. Baldwin was THE classical black gay figure.

Don Cheadle would be great as Baldwin.

Eric Arvin said...

Great list, and I heard something about a possible Sylvester film, but I don't know if it was just a rumor. I'd like to see a fil about silent film actor William Haines. He was the number one actor in Hollywood and left the biz for his hubby, and then went on to be a very successful interir designer and best friend of Joan Crawford.

Eric Arvin said...

Great list, and I heard something about a possible Sylvester film, but I don't know if it was just a rumor. I'd like to see a fil about silent film actor William Haines. He was the number one actor in Hollywood and left the biz for his hubby, and then went on to be a very successful interir designer and best friend of Joan Crawford.

Ron Buckmire said...

James Baldwin would be great--or maybe start with his books.

Also, Barbara Jordan's life story would make an amazing story--Taraji P Henson call your agent!

Morgan Freman would do a great Bayard Rustin (check the spelling!)

J. Clarence said...

A movie about Audre Lorde would be amazing. I remember reading her stuff in college and it totally moved me and change my way of thinking.

Bayard Rustin would be also great. There is a documentary about him, but I think too a motion picture would bring his story--which is still so much unsung--to more people.

And I wrote my final term-paper comparing Hall and Woolf and talking about the mythic lesbian. And I can say you know you love a subject when you enjoy writing a term paper on it. A movie about her and Woolf would be awesome.

I think a movie based on Well of Loneliness would be great too.

This is such a great list. Love it!

Jonathan Pizarro said...

Oh my god, a Sylvester movie would be all kinds of awesome. But who could honestly pull off playing him?

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.