Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Horror in Real Time: George Weber

This is all over the news and blogs. I'm sure most of y'all heard about George Weber.

He was the openly gay WABC newsman that was found slain in his apartment last week. George's body was bound with duct tape and blood was everywhere, with multiple cuts all over him.

Police believed he was killed by a online hook-up. At the time, folks didn't want to assume that, but the police stood their ground. Especially after finding photos depicting sadomasochism acts and George's ad looking for violent sex.

After heavy investigation, the cops found the killer. His name is John Katehis and he's just 16-years-old.
This is him


On his site, Katehis called himself "Extremist, an Anarchist, a Sadomasochist" and said he enjoys "long conversations, drinking, bike riding, hanging out."

The teen also listed more sinister hobbies like "roof hopping, hanging off trains" and claimed be into extremely violent video games.

"I am a very easy person to talk to," he wrote. "I like to do crazy and wild things ... I'm always looking for a big thrill.

Katehis was on the run in upstate Middletown, when cops picked him up just after midnight. He admitted answering an ad Weber placed on the Internet looking for a partner in rough sex, police and law enforcements sources said.

"He saw the victim's ad looking for violent sex and said, 'I can smother somebody for $60,' but it got out of hand," a source said.

The teen admitted he stabbed Weber, but couldn't remember how many times because he "blanked out" during the assault. He was in custody Wednesday at Brooklyn's 76th Precinct.

Cops found the suspect by combing through Weber's e-mail and Web browser history and tracking calls he made from his cell phone, sources said.

The two met in Brooklyn early Friday evening and then returned to the newsman's Carroll Gardens brownstone apartment under the premise of engaging in sadomasochistic acts, sources said.

I don't know what to think. I mean, you don't want to judge, but...I don't know. I've always been wary of on-line hook-ups just from my friends' and my own experiences. But this, this is really scary.

Folks, please be careful. There's nothing wrong with on-line hook-ups, but please just be aware.

Source

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was a teen, my best friend met a man on AOL (that's how long ago) and swore he was wonderful. My friend wanted me to go with him to meet this guy and because I didn't trust it, I brought every single knife in my parent's kitchen with me.

Turned out the guy was a pedophile and murderer and although he didn't hurt my friend, I told my friend then and there never to do anything like that again. It's never safe, ever, and unfortunately tragic things like this happen all the time.

Unknown said...

wow, it is amazing how paths cross in life...

Son of Baldwin said...

Not judging, but I wonder what it is that makes some people sexualize violence and hostility.

Joy said...

OMG! This is horrible! That video of the sicko teenager was disgusting. I don't like prank calls anyway. I hope he is locked up for life without parole, but he'll probably kill people in prison.

Quite some time ago, I met quite a few men in person from online. The worst thing that ever happened was that I was bored, fortunately. I was as careful as possible and met them in public, but mostly I was damned lucky since some moved on to private places. I am so thankful I survived all that!

Prince Todd said...

Oh my god. This is why I'm always wary of anyone who wants you to come to their house the moment you speak to them online.
Potential pleasure is not worth the risk. Unfortunately, some people are literally willing to die for it.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.