Monday, March 9, 2009

Another Fantastic Four Flick?


IESB.net reports that 20 Century Fox is possibly planning on...rebooting the Fantastic Four.

Why, Lord knows, but I guess they want try one last time.

The site states: The two films previously released never really caught on with the fans and the studio is reportedly looking to completely retool, recast and recrew the franchise.

This means no Tim Story, no Iaon, no Julian (thank the maker, he never sat well with me as Dr. Doom), no Chris, no Chiklis and no Jessica.
The first Fantastic Four in 2005 pulled in over $330 million worldwide and the second film, Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer, opened in 2007 with a total box office take of $290 million.

Both made money and were commercial successes but the reviews were lackluster and the fan reaction was mediocre.
The franchise is looking to be "less bubble gum" this time round following the Iron Man template, which was a complete success in reviews and box office take but a bit darker when it came to its superhero. Iron Man was in no way as dark as The Dark Knight but was funny, action-y as well as a bit on the serious side.

But to be real, Marvel Studios will be able to do it. 20 Century Fox would try to put some Playboy tramp as Sue Richards.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't they keep the guy who played Johnny Storm(Chris) he was the only salvation for me in either of those movies. i thought he played Johnny perfect, and not having his shirt on was a BIG attribute as well!! :) I did like the Silver Surfer too and the idea of Michael Chiklis was good(he wasn't bad shirtless either!!!), but the final visual for the Thing didn't work for me.

Jonathan Pizarro said...

I'm looking forward to a decent Fantastic Four movie. I think they're the best team visually and it could be a lot of fun, there's just so much they got wrong.

Prince Todd said...

why did they EVER cast Jessica Alba?
My choice was always Rachel McAdams.
Whenever I see Jessica Alba as the Invisible Woman I keep wondering, "Why is Beyonce playing the invisible woman?"
Both of the movies were lame. They should wait five years before trying to ressurrect this cooked goose.

Belasco said...

I wonder how much they'll really gain by doing this. They rebooted Hulk shortly after the first one and, while it was better, it wasn't that much better. With FF, they made TWO lousy movies so it's going to be even harder I would think. But I'm all for them trying to get it back on track. The Fox FF's were huge missed opportunities.

D.J. said...

I have to agree with Belasco. I live with two non geeks and I spend more time trying to explain reboots, restarts, etc... Would it not just be easier to make a better movie rather than pretend the last ones don't exist?

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.