Monday, November 17, 2008

Do we need HRC?


Andrew Sullivan wrote an interesting article about the relevance of the Human Rights Campaign. He feels that the group came up short in its support of No on Prop 8. Andrew has never been a fan of HRC, but in this article I can almost understand why.

In the biggest rise to battle, HRC was not really as vocal as some of the grassroots groups. Joe Solmonese wrote a letter addressing some of issues we already have discussed. And in someways, he wants us to be nice. But I needed to hear more from this group. I needed to know what else do they have in store for the battle.

Andrew would like to know as well. He really wasn't feeling the HRC and had this to say:

HRC claims to have spent $3.4 million on No On 8. The Mormon church was able to spend over $20 million, by appealing to its members. Why are non-gay Mormons more capable of organizing and fund-raising on a gay rights measure than the biggest national gay rights group? I mean: they claim (absurdly, but bear with me) 725,000 supporters and members. In the summer, the major problem for No On 8 was insufficient early funding. If HRC had led, they could have thrown their money weight behind it. If every supporter had given $20 - chump change for the biggest ever battle yet for civil rights - they could have delivered $14 million overnight. So why didn't they?

That's a very good question. Sure there are a lot of Mormons, but with all of the HRC star-studded galas, funraisers, and big time events, shouldn't they been ready for war? I, like Andrew is concern over the reactive stance of HRC. I need them to act like the JLA, be out there fighting for us, not coming in at the last minute. I need to feel secure in their purpose, as well as, secure in their existence. I'm not so sure that we need them, some of grassroots groups are doing just fine. And all the money they get from us, what is it really going to?

Right now, I wonder if HRC is a after High School popular club for the gays that were picked on. I wonder are they really working for us or just title-hungry folks. I need you to be more HRC, we need you to be more. Please step it up.

1 comment:

Greg said...

I think at it's inception, the HRC was a good thing, but lately, it's been very quiet. I remember years ago I donated to the HRC, signed up to be a member, and then not two months later, I received a notice that it was time to renew my membership, to send more money than my original donation. And they kept sending them even after I asked to be removed from their mailing list. I'm still getting them today even though I've moved quite a few times since then. They seem to have become nothing more than a money-generating organism.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.