Monday, March 12, 2012

Stupidity reigns in Mississippi - 52% believes Obama is a Muslim


This is not a surprise, but it's so sad. In the deep parts of the South, many of them still believe Obama is a Muslim.
In the midst of tight GOP primaries in both states, Public Policy Polling (PPP) has released information showing that a majority of likely GOP primary voters in the Deep South do not see Obama as a Christian. PPP's Alabama survey of 600 likely GOP primary voters found that only 14 percent consider Obama a Christian, while 45 percent said he is a Muslim and 41 percent answered that they were not sure. 

A similar picture surfaced in Mississippi. Of 656 likely GOP primary voters surveyed, 12 percent said Obama was a Christian, 52 percent classified him as a Muslim, and 36 percent fell in the "not sure" category. 
Why must the South continue to live up to the stereotypes?

source

3 comments:

Bob said...

Oh Mississippi.
How glad I am that I moved away from you when I was six months old.
No lasting effects.

Roger Poladopoulos said...

Unfortunately, stupidity is prevalent there, it's probably the legacy of the isolation of segregation (and I live in the South). Equally regrettable, it isn't limited to just the South!

Ian said...

Yeah, I have to agree with Roger. Ignorance isn't just a Southern problem. I've met plenty folks above Dixie with attitudes that have made my skin crawl. I've heard similar things here in Pennsylvania. Sad, just sad.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.