Thursday, August 5, 2010

Target apologizes for supporting an Anti-gay Candidate


Well, I guess Target felt the heat.

The CEO apologizes for supporting an anti-gay candidate
The head of Target Corp. apologized Thursday over a political donation to a business group backing a conservative Republican for Minnesota governor, which angered some employees and sparked talk of a customer boycott.

Target CEO Gregg Steinhafel wrote employees to say the discount retailer was "genuinely sorry" over the way a $150,000 contribution to MN Forward donation played out. Steinhafel said Target would set up a review process for future political donations.

MN Forward is running TV ads supporting Republican Tom Emmer, an outspoken conservative opposed to same-sex marriage and other gay-rights initiatives that have come before Minnesota's Legislature.

Steinhafel said the contribution from the corporate treasury to a political effort, which until this year wasn't allowed, was designed to support his stance on economic issues. Ads run by the group were focused on budget policy, not social issues.

"While I firmly believe that a business climate conducive to growth is critical to our future, I realize our decision affected many of you in a way I did not anticipate, and for that I am genuinely sorry," Steinhafel wrote.

Good, Target.

3 comments:

Prince Todd said...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I thought I was going to have to start shopping at Walmart again! Praises be to the goddess Persephone of the underworld!

Lavenderpop Cards said...

This is very good news. I'm still not opening my wallet just yet. From Gregg I want to hear "I'm sorry, I'll never do it again, baby baby baby please!"

Daij said...

And I want to know if they asked for their donation back. I saw target coupons in the mail today and I had just written them, telling them why I refuse to shop there . and I mailed it before seeing this entry.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.