Thursday, August 19, 2010

My plea to the LGBT Protests in Los Angeles... Let's change it up, please!


The Prop 8 stay has inspired another protest tomorrow in WeHo. But to be honest, I'm tired of these protests.

Now don't get me wrong, I believe in them and I'm very supportive of fighting for our rights, but the way it's done in Los Angeles is getting old. Let me share my reasons:
  • We ALWAYS protest in WeHo. It's the gay mecca of L.A., so basically we are preaching to the choir.
  • For some reason they love to start at 6pm. Hello, 6pm in L.A.? It's rush hour or better yet rush hours. Traffic in L.A. starts at 4pm and slows down at 7 or 8pm. And if you live in South Central, East L.A. or in Venice, you will need to leave work or where ever early to make it. And parking SUX in WeHo.
  • At these protests, there are no set plans. You are just standing there with 100s of other angry people. Maybe someone will speak; but after driving for 40 minutes and spending 20 more minutes looking for parking, you just want a little more structure.
  • L.A. is a huge city. I think to only stay in WeHo is too safe. This is a protest, we need to really take it to the streets for real. No one takes us serious if we are shouting in our own backyard.
  • Also it sends a message that WeHo is only place that matters.
So how do we change this? Well, you know me, I always have solutions.
  • We should be in many parts of the city as possible. Our anger or frustration should be expressed in ALL of L.A.
  • We should be somewhat sensitive with time. Starting at 6pm works on the weekend, but I think 8pm is a better time. I believe more folks would come out and support.
  • Have a plan. There should be next steps and strategies developed at these events. We have a captive audience, let's take advantage of that.
  • Make sure the protest actually makes sense. Tomorrow's protest is nothing more but a bitchfest, let's not waste time. Let's make something happen.
As I said before, I love a good protest. But it's time to change the game. We need to take our issues to the STREETS. Hell, the civil rights movement went everywhere. They didn't just stay in the Black neighborhoods, they took it to the white neighborhoods, sock hops and schools.

It's time to follow suit.

2 comments:

Daij said...

You have 2 wives i want 1 husband.... LOVE that sign!

Marc said...

Great ideas and thoughts. A real activist mindset.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.