Thursday, February 26, 2009
My fellow blogger, Eric brought up how homophobic the GOP and others have been for the past several months (more than that). And I've been thinking the same thing.
This is what I've noticed:
- The Utah Legislature snuffed out 3 more gay-rights bills.
- In Gainesville, Christian groups placed an amendment on the ballot that will make it legal to fire and deny housing to LGBT folks.
- Sen. Scott Renfroe equate us to murderers and think we should but to death.
- Chris Buttars thinks we are just like radical Muslims.
- The National Organization for Marriage launched a web site and a group called the DOMA Defense Fund last month to raise money to keep the Defense of Marriage Act, which prohibits the federal government from acknowledging same-sex marriages and allows states to ignore same-sex marriages enacted in other states.
- Oklahoma House passed a bill declaring the state sovereign from any rule of the federal government not mentioned in the Constitution. 8 other states are planning to do the same.
- Peter LaBarbera, president of Americans for Truth about Homosexuality, issued a statement pushing RNC chair, Michael Steele, to deny the Log Cabin Republicans a greater voice.
- In West Virginia, a website called, wv4marriage.com believes we are, THE GAY SNIPERS ready to attack straight families.
- Hawaii is now a battleground in the fight for same-sex civil unions.
- A Idaho state Senate committee killed a proposal to outlaw discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Georgia state Rep. Charlice Byrd wants to fire every university professor who teaches such "disgusting" classes as queer theory.
I feel like we need to get prepared. Their attacks are coming harder and faster. As a people, we need to organize and stay aware. I think it will get worse as the year progess.