Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Would someone tell me why Spike Lee has a problem with Django Unchained?


What is Spike Lee's issue with Django Unchained?

I saw the movie and if anything, it was good. Great, actually. Yes, there's a lot of blood and the N-word is thrown everywhere; but how is this an insult to my ancestors?

Are we supposed to ignore Slavery? Never talk about it or create stories around that time? Or is slavery scared to us, since it's a part of Black history? If that's the case, then that's a bunch of crap.

Django Unchained is a story during slavery. Like many stories, it takes place during horrible times in our history. According to Spike Lee, we can't do that. So, Roots shouldn't have been made, or the Diary of Anne Frank. Stan Lee creating Magneto is bad too, because his origin takes place during the Holocaust.

Child please, Spike needs to get it together. Hell, he needs to asked himself why he didn't think of Django first?

Or why a lot of Black lead films tend to be God fearing, I need a light-skinned man to save me from my sad life, straight-to-video messes?

This foolish hate fest Spike has on Django Unchained is ridic. The movie is telling a story. It's a fantasy, no harm is done and nobody's feeling betrayed by The Man. Django Unchained is a great film, I didn't feel disrespected, if anything, my admiration for Quentin Tarantino has increased. He knows how to tell a story and tell it well.

Sorry Spike, I love your work, but you're wrong about this.

1 comment:

Reggie said...

This was a great movie!!! While I understand the point that Spike Lee is attempting to make, he's wrong.

This is a spaghetti western with some Tarantino love thrown in........it's an excellent movie!!!

I'm skeptical when anyone tells me not to see something....that they haven't seen. That sounds like bullshit to me.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.