Friday, December 28, 2012

Interesting Quote: Brendon Ayanbadejo


“I believe that there are not as many gay people in the NFL as in the regular population. This is a discussion I’ve been having on Twitter for quite some time now. Some people say, ‘You’re stupid.’ But even though there is not yet a proven gay gene, I believe people are born gay. It is a natural phenomenon.

There are definitely gay players in the NFL. I’m not saying that there are not. Some people say the gay guys in the NFL aren’t coming out because they’re scared and worried about what’s going to happen to their careers. But I think the first person who comes out and says they are gay, everyone is going to write a book and do stories about them. They’re going to make a lot more money by saying they’re gay than by not saying they’re gay. But are we ready to hear that? Is that person going to be comfortable to do that? I don’t think they are right now because of society and the way things are.

Eventually, I think there will be someone. But the number (of gay players) is so minute. If they say the regular population is 7 to 9 percent (LGBT), in the NFL it might be 3 percent. I could be completely wrong, but I’ve played for so long and so many others have. When you hear players coming out that are retired, they are few and far between. Why wouldn’t we hear about more players if it’s the same percentage like in the regular population?

What I’m saying is controversial. There is no proof. It’s just my theory.”

source




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He actually makes a great point.

I know things are changing, but with the locker room atmosphere in many "macho" sports like football or hockey at the time many of today's pro athletes grew up, it would not have been a welcoming place for anyone in the LGBT community. And if you stood up for yourself, it would be a cry in the wilderness.

I'm sure the late Brendan Burke wasn't the only potential gay pro athlete who quit their sport because of what happens in locker rooms.

Hopefully this leads to a real discussion. It shouldn't matter who you are. It should only matter if you can play the game.

Bob said...

Smart man.
Hot, too.

Anonymous said...

More like him please! Mentally and physically.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.