Saturday, August 13, 2011

Musician Brontez was Gay Bashed in Oakland, CA


Cali based musician Brontez Purnell was attacked outside of a bar in Oakland this week. He and his bandmate was beaten because Brontez is gay.

The Advocate reports:
Brontez reported the attack on his Facebook page: “Got gay bashed last night. Me and my bandmate, Adal, were leaving the Paradiso in downtown Oakland when two dudes with ... accents and dreadlocks started calling us ‘batty boys’ and saying that if we were in Jamaica we’d be dead.”

Brontez alleges that he yelled back at the men and attempted to swiftly pedal away on his bicycle. “One of the guys chased me, punched me in the head and I fell of my bike. The other dude punched Adal fracturing his face in two places and now he has to have plates put in.”

The musician says he’s fighting back and “not sleeping on this shit. Oakland [police department] is not gonna care about us getting gay bashed. I can’t even get them on the phone for a follow up.”
I'm glad Brontez is okay and I hope the cops find something. This cannot happen again.

go here for more info

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess to "serve and protect " doesn't work there.

Anonymous said...

It's getting ugly out there. That they chased him down when he was on a bike is some seriously bad shit.

I hope the police find the gumption to follow up on this and they catch the perps.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.