Tuesday, April 12, 2011

10 Things Logo TV can do to be Great


After watching the Now New Next Awards, I realized that LOGO TV needs help! I remember when I was marching in NYC gay pride and I saw the LOGO TV crew promoting the upcoming channel. I was so excited and hopeful for our first network showcasing the LGBT community.

Well, years later... Well, I still have hope. I think they can turn it around and become a great Gay Channel. So, I will offer my suggestions on how this network could be MUST SEE TV.
  1. Bring back the news segments. It would be great if they had a Rachel Maddow, Tavis Smiley or even a gay Glenn Beck. Something that will inform our community.
  2. Scripted shows. We need strong TV representation.
  3. A serious "The View" like show. The hosts should come from different backgrounds and represent different opinions.
  4. Less British TV, stop broadcasting their TV leftovers.
  5. Reality shows that highlight regular gays and LGBT accomplishments.
  6. NO A-List of any kind.
  7. An award show that honors actual GAY PEOPLE!
  8. 1 Girl 5 Gays in America.
  9. A Gay Unplugged with upcoming musicians (who are LGBT).
  10. TV movies made by LGBT writers, producers and directors.
If y'all have anything to add please do so.

9 comments:

Eric Arvin said...

Agreed!

paul said...

I used to look forward to the news. When Logo cancelled the show, that sent a clear signal that Logo was going down.

British shows? Yes and no. I loved "Beautiful People" - very original and so much fun.

Get rid of "RuPaul's Drag Race." and also get rid of "5Gays, 1Girl" We don't need the Logo channel filled with stereotypes.

"The A-List" keep. I know, alot of criticism that these people are shallow. But get over it. Very few complain about "The Housewives Of --". So why complain about this show.

Alex said...

If they would pick up the IN THE LIFE or some sort of news-magazine type program. Add something important and leave the fluff programing to Bravo and the three Networks.

Alex

WilsonW said...

Sadly, I think the network needs to keep the A-List stuff. I can't say for sure how the ratings were, but I know that sadly that kind of show is more likely to draw viewers than good stuff. Which is sad. So use the bad stuff to generate revenue while giving us great content as well.

@Paul-RuPaul drag race and 1 girl 5 gays is great! Far from stereotypical. Especially 1 girl 5 gays, there are a large number of cast members and someone just about everyone can relate to. If anything I think they need to expand their racial and income level demographic. I'd love to see 1 girl 5 gay guys that has all minority men. We truly need to see diversity more when it comes to men of color.

Speaking of which, stop fooling around and bring back Noah's Arc already!!!

But yes, Vik, I agree with all your statements. Too many reruns, edited movies and not enough great content. We're ready for it so bring it on MTV, I mean Logo. Give us an all gay Real World or something!

Vik, who would you put on a gay version of the View? I'd try to have some politics and some entertainment. Wanda Sykes, Michaelangelo Signorile, Alec Mapa, Darryl Stephens, Perez Hilton, Neil Patrick Harris, Christopher Barron and Andrew Sullivan as a starting point of candidates.

Greg said...

How about showing gay people who aren't stereotypes?

Stan said...

Great list! I agree with most of all the other comments too. LOGO has such potential to be a great network for us all. I think though that there's enough programing time in a day so even the "stereotypes" can have their own shows too. As it stands now LOGO is such a wasteland that I don't hardly ever tune in.

Wonder Man said...

That's a good list, Wilson. I would add myself and Keith Boykin

WilsonW said...

@Vik-WONDERFUL Choices!!! I'd watch that show in a heartbeat!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

there is nothing ever on but RuPaul drag race. And where there is a movie it is full of commercials. Too many,.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.