Monday, April 18, 2011

Certain Songs + Certain Moments = Great Memories


There are songs that brings back some good memories and good times. When I hear certain songs, I'm thrown back into some interesting moments in my life.

For example:

'With or Without You' -U2 (middle school years)
At a sleepover with a few classmates, one of my friends would sleep with the radio on. The guy that slept next to me starting moving closer when that song started. He was lightly kissing my neck and held my hand. I was in Heaven and that song just made everything like a dream...We never spoke about it afterward, but a few years ago, he sent a facebook message to let me know that he remembered.

'Do Me, Baby' -Prince (beginning of my high school years)
I was 14, he was 18. He was a family friend that was staying with us. His girlfriend wouldn't give him a BJ and he was pissed off about it. I was in lust with him so bad that it was in neon colors on my forehead. Anywho, as we were talking about nothing, he asked me if I would "help him out". At that moment, Prince's song came on. And well... let's say that I learned how to swallow that night.

'Right Here, Right Now' -Jesus Jones (high school)
My good friend and I bonded by riding around town all night. We talked about everything we could think of and nothing was off limits. It was that moment we became great friends for life.

'Everybody, Everybody' - Blackbox (high school)
I played this song in the lunch line with portable tape player. It was the first time I 'queened out' in public... But I didn't realize I was doing that.

'1979' - Smashing Pumpkins (college)
This song kind of defined one of my best years in college. 1996 was a great year academically, personally and paraprofessional (as a RA)

'Perfect' - Smashing Pumpkins
It was my first time on my own, living in Stateboro, GA. as a hall director. I didn't have cable yet, so I only had a few channels. Then on Friday Night Videos, 'Perfect' came on. I can't really explain it, but that song just hit me in a way that defined my new sense of independence.

I can go on and on about this topic. So many songs and so many memories. If you have any song moments, please share.

4 comments:

Prince Todd said...

@number two...
You slut. lol.

Writer said...

Elsewhere by Sarah McLachlan. I had just graduated from high school. And I was spending the summer in Evansville, IN, sleeping between places, but I was in love with a guy named Jonah.

We spend many a night in downtown Evansville on the riverfront in the parking lot of the gay bar Tina Faye's. (We were obviously too young to get in but quite a lot of kids would hang out in the lot and either pick each other up or guys would come out and pick us up.) But Jonah lived across the river in Henderson, KY, so we had to drive over to see friends and whatnot.

I remember one night, the windows down, we were listening to Elsewhere, and he reached over, grabbed my hand, and put his head on my shoulder. :)

Eric Arvin said...

Sexy memories!

SteveA said...

wow - great post! Some great memories amd these songs (apart from Prince and Perfect) do hold many memories for me too!

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.