Saturday, April 16, 2011

My Review: Scream 4


The 'Scream' series is very close to my heart. It defined my college years and rebooted the horror scene in the 90s. When I heard about the next story, I was excited and concerned. I wanted to see if the 10 years gap would make the series better, stronger or necessary to be brought back.

After seeing the film, I have to say... I have mixed feelings about it. It was cute, but a little bit campy. Funny, but not scary. In all, I wish for a little bit more from this film.

So, here is my vague bullet point review.
  • The opening scene was cute. They took a lot jab at the Saw series.
  • It was good to see Neve back on deck.
  • The movie hit some good spots, but it quickly became a comedy instead of something scary.
  • The 'teen' looked to stylized, not as normal looking as the original crew.
  • Some of the killings were funny, that's not a good thing.
  • Sidney had the best line in the movie "Don't f**k with the original"
  • The killers were lame and the main reason for killing everyone was also lame.
  • If they were going to break all the rules, the killer(s) should have had no connection to any of the characters.
  • Some of the lines were too campy. These lines could have been taken out.
  • Gale and Dewey still have great chemistry.
  • The story overall was good, not captivating, but good.
  • The neatest thing about the film was the Wes/Kevin power. It's still there.
Again, I have mixed feelings. I liked it and didn't like at the same time. Usually, I watch these movies 3 times in theater... I think I'm good for seeing this film just once.

2 comments:

Eric Arvin said...

I've been hearing similar reviews. Oh well. I'll probably see it anyway. I've seen the other three.

Kyle Leach said...

Thanks for the recap V.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.