Thursday, April 21, 2011

Isaiah Mustafa could be Power Man/Luke Cage


Old Spice hottie Isaiah Mustafa chats with Super Hero Hype about playing Luke Cage and the possibility of Marvel making it happen.

Here's some highlights from the interview:
SHH: Are you trying to get meetings with Marvel?
Mustafa: I've already had a meeting with Marvel. I talked to them and I told them that I was a gracious reader of their comics and that I wanted to be Luke Cage. So we'll see where they take it.

SHH: We see it, but why Luke Cage? There are a handful of heroes over there that you might be also right for, but why him in particular?
Mustafa: When you say "handful" you're not joking around, but it's because what's going on with him right now in the Marvel Universe. I think all their [early black] characters were these Blaxploitation characters - these jokey, clownish characters - but now they've really developed the African-American characters. Luke Cage has a lot going on. He's this man, he's got all these powers and abilities and he can use them to save whatever major city, but instead of doing that he uses them to help Harlem. He wants to fix his neighborhood, and that's what's so admirable to me. Instead of leaving and going someplace bigger, he stays right where he needs to be and tries to do the best that they can.

SHH: Does Marvel currently have something actively cooking for Luke Cage, or are you trying to help them get a film off the ground?
Mustafa: They have something in mind, I think, and I definitely want them to see that I'm extremely passionate about it. I'm extremely passionate about being that character. I will do anything to get that role. It strikes me. It's very personal to me. I hold onto it. It's something that I desire more than just about anything that I can think of right now, as far as work goes.

I think he could do it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Gawd, yes he could.

WilsonW said...

Don't get me wrong, he's fine and everything. But I get much more of a Falcon vibe off him than a Luke Cage one. Luke Cage needs to kinda be a roughneck. A thug. Mustafa feels kinda goody goody to me.

Kyle Leach said...

I love this idea, I'm not convinced he's our guy. I'd give him a chance though.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.