Thursday, April 28, 2011

My Rant about the whole Obama, Trump, Birther mess


Yesterday was a hard day for me. I was reminded about Race, Power and Privilege through this whole Obama birth certificate drama.

I was reminded that regardless of your merits, hard work and your achievements... You still have to pamper to fools and bigots. I've been fighting for gay rights for so long that I forgot about the other battle, race.

This day reminded me of the struggles of the past and some lost their lives for civil rights. They fought to make sure that no one would have to go through what President Obama had to endure. And then for Trump to stand there and claim some kind of victory just pissed me off something fierce. His privilege and his power was on display. And the media ate it up, they couldn't get enough. But not one of them challenged him. They let him rant and ramble as if he was a king.

Now, Trump and these idiots want to question his academic history. They wanted to know if he's truly educated. Mind you, he went to the best schools; better than any of this harshest critics. Still, he has to prove his worth. The funny thing is, no one ever asked Bush to prove his worth, his education or his citizenship. Folks aren't forcing Trump to present his bankruptcy papers or why he had 45 marriages or his grades at Wharton School at Penn. They just continue to give him a platform.

What happened yesterday was a reminder that race matters and privilege is a dangerous gift.  What I witnessed was a dark day in our country. We should be ashamed this mess.

Sorry for the rant, but I was truly hurt by this foolishness. Donald Trump and others like him should be held accountable... Hopefully, they will pay for this.

11 comments:

robertga99 said...

Don't give him the power to do that to you. He is a TOTAL power hungry, press hungry, idiot who will say and do what he wants to get attention.

EMikeGarcia said...

This wasn't a rant, you just spoke the truth. Most of the time we can't because bigots say you're trying to play the "race card." I say, fucking play it! Nothing like this would've ever come up if the President wasn't black.

Now questioning his education?!?! As if to say this little black boy couldn't have possibly gotten into these schools on his own merits. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Stan in NH said...

I totally agree with you. The president should not have had to post his birth certificate again! And I applaud how the president held the media accountable for fanning those flames, and not others.
And you're absolutely right about Bush. After hearing him speak and looking at the vacant looks on his face almost daily, I truly do question his Yale diploma. Where were Trump and his crowd, then? Where were the media? Why are ridiculous stories the only ones that get any air time?

Bob said...

Brilliantly put.
People, and by 'people' I mean asshats with no brains, think that because Trump is a rich white man, he speaks the truth.
Now, even they should begin to realize he's a racist.

Prince Todd said...

I agree with everything Mike Garcia just wrote.
I'll probably piggy back on this too. I was PISSED.

Anonymous said...

This liver lip fool trump is nothing more than a bully with money.

Kyle Leach said...

V, great post. You don't have to apologize at all; I think your post is dead on.

Everything that happened yesterday, in relation to the certificate, only proves that we have a long way to go before racism in this nation is dealt with to any great degree. Yesterday was completely infuriating. I was particularly appalled at the way the media handled coverage the entire day. They have completely forgotten their real purpose as investigators, historians, storytellers, and critics. They have reduced themselves to sideshow salesmen and thrill seekers. I won't even give the man with a tribble on his head the dignity of commentary.

Stay strong. One day it won't be like this and all of the lifetimes of suffering and sacrifice will give birth to an era with true equality and dignity.

WilsonW said...

The only person I saw call him on the race baiting to his face was Whoopi on the View. How sad is that a non journalist is the only one to (that I have seen) call him on his crap to his face.

Sad. We can't ever forget the race issue. It is just as evident in our media, movies, books and films. Pay attention folks. The dog is backed into a corner and the teeth are bared!

Unknown said...

this reminds me of how they attacked John Kerry over his Purple Heart.
And you're right, this lunacy is mostly about race.

Glenn Ingersoll said...

Indeed.

Daddy Squeeze Me! said...

nOTHING BUT TRUTH HERE! KEEP SPEAKING OUT VICTOR. ITS JUST ONE OF US AT A TIME WITH THE LITTLE PLATFORMS THAT WE DO HAVE REACHING FAR AND WIDE. AS LONG AS IT IS SAID, THATS ALL THAT MATTERS! ITS OUT THERE!

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.