Friday, August 1, 2008

What About Your Dumb Ass Question, Uhuru News?


This morning in Florida, while Obama was giving his campaign speech, 3 men and 2 women from Uhuru News interrupted him with a banner stating,"What About the Black Community, Obama?"

A little surprised, Obama asked the group to elaborate on their statement. The guy start rambling that Obama has not been active enough on issues of interest to African-Americans, ranging from the impact of subprime mortgages the shooting of Sean Bell and the government’s response to Hurricane Katrina. Obama calmed the crowd and answered the guy, stating everything he has done, but the guy kept talking. Now when I saw this, I was pissed. Who is this group? Why are they attacking Obama over broad stuff? Why would they do this in this manner? And who in the hell is Uhuru News?

This Uhuru News group irked me for several reasons.
  1. Obvious reason, for attacking Obama, as if he is to blame.
  2. Not thinking through their reasoning for "protesting".
  3. Not doing their research on Obama's involvement in Illinois, or other civil rights matters.
  4. Showcasing their website, which seemed pointless and myopic.
  5. Not articulating their question, which made them look disorganized and foolish.
I tried to understand them, but I couldn't. It was like they expect Obama to save our people and when he's not at the head of the table, he's not doing his job. But that's not his sole job, it is all of our jobs to hold people accountable. To put it all on one man is a bit illogical. Obama isn't the Ultimate Black One, he is one of many. And those folks need to remember that.

And why did they come to Obama's rally? If you ask me, they should have went to McCain's. He is a senator to one of the most racist states in the country. I can't believe McCain wasn't on their hit list. Makes me wonder if they were planted. However, their demonstration was poor and lacked a purpose. After going on their website, I was totally confused. If this group was all about their mission, then they should have done their research and headed on down to McCain camp. If anyone plans to attack the poor, oppressed, and colonized peoples of the world, it would be him.

Shame on you, members of Uhuru News!

3 comments:

Queers United said...

seems like a silly fringe group, they should be at McCain demanding to know why he voted against making MLK a holiday.

etherealwear said...

Amen, Queers United. . .

I checked out that site-- I am also out of the Uhuru loop.

I think it sucks that Obama has to suffer fools, in this way (I have to add Ludacris and his little rap to the captain's manifest on that ship of fools). Here's an open letter to those who wish to "help" Obama. . . JUST f-ing VOTE. Thanks.

I don't think the Uhuru folks were planted-- I think they came up with that mess all on their own. Obama is running for President of the UNITED STATES-- all the States, all the people.

With friends like these, who needs Carl Rove!

Unknown said...

Good point. I have no idea who they are, but that was not the environment. Accountability starts at home.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.