Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Understanding the phrase: I don't know Obama


Every once in a while, I hear people saying that they don't know Obama. That he needs to show folks just who he is. And I'm like: This ain't your cousin! This is a man running for president. And honestly do we actually know all our cousins?

Anyway, I believe we need to focus on what he stands for. We will never know him, but we can try to trust him. We should focus on his beliefs, his platform, his work, and his leadership. I don't care if I can invite him to a BBQ, I care if he can be invited to a foreign country. I care if he keeps us out of a recession, I care if he can provides jobs for people. That's what people should be concerned about.

I've always hated the foolishness notions about having a beer with the president or if I can go to Applebee's with the president. The reality is, you can't! The president has to run a country, not take some fool out to Wendy's. I think folks has to do 2 things to get a better understanding.
  1. Read. Actively search for truthful info about Obama or McCain. Find out what they stand for and drawn your conclusions from there.
  2. Ask yourself, what is it I need to know and is it relevant to the issues. As Hill-Hill said and I've said time and time again. It's not about "you". It's about the country. Once some folks see that, then we can go out here and when this election.

1 comment:

Joie Mayfield said...

The last time we "elected" a "good 'ole boy" for a President, it's not turning out so well. Like you said, I want a President that will shape this country into the best democratic republic that it can be. I want a President that will make sure all citizens are equal, and he/she has all Americans' best interests at heart.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.