Monday, March 5, 2012

Gay Male Writer Life Problems


I'm in a dilemma, y'all. For a couple of years, I've been thinking about going back for a 2nd masters for Writing for TV/Film. However, my former professor and writer John August said that grad school in Cinema is not necessary.

Both of them said the Writing program is a chance to focus on your writing and get some scripts under your belt. Well, I've already done that through my summer classes. I've wrote 1 film, 2 TV pilots, 4 shorts and 1 short film. I have some contacts and access to film equipment too. So, I think I'm somewhat ready.

Last week, I talked to one of my old professors about school. He told me that I should just go for it. He said that grad school's an excuse for writers to stall, but the best education is actually getting out there. I asked him if I was ready and he said, "No one is truly ready, you just have to make it happen."

Fast Forward a couple of days later. I (randomly) ran into an old classmate, Dedi, who was taking a couple classes at UCLA. Dedi decided to just take classes and avoid grad school. Her classes were helping her fine tune her craft and her classmates were awesome. She also told me to get out there and join her in this scary journey.

After that run-in, I was all over the place. I realized I have the tools, I have the skills and... I'm stalling. I mean, I will still take classes, but I have to get my pretty ass out there. I know a few folks and I'm a good persuader, so I need to do this. I know I need to and what better way to learn the business, right?

I'm going to put myself out there and do it. I have to, I got to.

So, here it goes. The game begins.

6 comments:

Kyle Leach said...

Go for it V. Just get yourself out there. You have natural talent, a good eye, and interesting perspectives. You have what it takes; make it happen!

Anonymous said...

Go for it. No one is ever truly ready for it when they try. I'm sure J.K. Rowling wasn't ready when she was unemployed and writing about Harry Potter.

Immanuel said...

Go for it. You have the talent. You got the drive. You got this boo!

Good luck
Immanuel
www.dconfessionssequel.com

Allan S. said...

Yes, yes, yes! Have at it!

Unknown said...

Yes, we need you out there! Your intellect, perspective, and your gift.

BloggerJoe said...

"You can prepare to write your whole life and never write a thing." Don't let this be you.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.