Saturday, March 10, 2012

10 Reminders that I'm in Arizona


I'm in Phoenix for a conference and each day, I'm reminded that I'm back in Arizona. But what does that mean, you may ask? Well, I'll give you 10 examples.
  1. The Black hair products are limited to 1 or 1 and half shelves in Target and Wal-Mart.
  2. Speaking of Wal-Mart, you are warned that if you are not American, the cops from Subway will arrest you.
  3. White women clutch their fake Gucci bags.
  4. I'm asked "Do you work here?" in every CVS, Gas Station, hotel and street corner (yes, that actually happen).
  5. Folks actually wear Rick Santorum sweater vests.
  6. Latinos are super hot (mega positive)
  7. I'm also asked if I'm African because of my locs.
  8. There are Jan Brewer T-shirts being sold.
  9.  There are street preachers all over the place.
  10. The Black folks look like they are trapped in the early 90s.  

6 comments:

behrmark said...

Hilarious

apitt said...

Wow. Talk about living on the outside.

Allan S. said...

Oh lord. Hang in their V. BTW, one of my dearest friends is at the same conference. Look for the guy that works at NYU. I texted him and told him to look for you. He's a sweetheart and bougie like you.

Immanuel said...

Lord not No. 10!!! I was doing still laughing from No. 3 when I got to that one and started laughing again.

Immanuel
www.dlconfessionssequel.com

Anonymous said...

You're in AZ? I'm praying for your safety. AZ is one place I would never visit unless it was absolutely necessary.

kayman said...

That state is worse than any ass-backwards part of any Deep Southern state.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.