Sunday, December 11, 2011

Flashback 1995-1998: Being an RA


When I became a RA (Resident Assistant), I was so happy. It was the best position for me at that time of my college life. I got to create programs like: "Are Stereotypes Real?"; "Coming Out in the Halls" and a floor movie night at the theater to see 'Showgirls'.

Many of my creative and professional skills were developed in this position and I got to take home an RA scholarship, Programmer of the Year and later, RA of the Year.

But some of my biggest rewards were my residents. I helped a good amount them get through some of the toughest times in their lives. And they taught me so much about life and how to find the best in people. Those 3 years were the best times of my life, and I am very fortunate to have been the 'dreaded floor manager'.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I delivered pizza in college and when the local job market tanked just before I graduated I foolishly went into management. That lasted less than a year and the best thing I learned from that experience is I'm no manager!

Anonymous said...

Nurse Ratched?? LMAO!!

QuietStorm said...

I was an RA in college too!

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.