Monday, December 26, 2011

I'll admit it... I Like Vampire Diaries!


For years, I've denounced 'Vampire Diaries'. I thought of it as a low rent 'True Blood' and 40% discount version of 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'. But one night, Chance from the hot blog, Fanboys of the Universe, challenged me to give it a shot.

So for the past week, I've watched the entire 1st season on Netflix. And, I have to say it's not all that bad. In fact, it's okay.

The main characters are Elena, the femme fatale and Stefan and Damon, the vampire brothers. This series is clearly written with teens in mind, but it's not so YA (Young Adult). The stories are a little predictable, but watchable and fun. Kevin Williamson developed the series, so you can see and hear some of 'Dawson's Creek' (I loved Dawson) in the series. The actress Nina Dobrev does a great job as Elena and Ian 'Hottie' Somerhalder is also great in his role of the bad boy Damon. Other stand-outs are the singer/actress Katerina Graham and Steven R. McQueen.

The series is decent and attractive. There are creative pieces that are entertaining and well thought out. I still won't place it at Buffy's level, but it has quality and appeal. So, I stand corrected about VD. I may actually watch it regularly.

...I still can't believe I'm watching this.

4 comments:

Judy C. Adanna said...

It's excellent trash, love this show. The men are all gorgeous, it's fun, plot moves at a good clip from week to week; what's not to love?

Anonymous said...

This is one one of the shows I love and the Secret Circle. The men are hot.

Anonymous said...

I really lie Tyler the Werewolf guy. He reminds me of Ari Melber and I have a crush on him.

Kyle Leach said...

I thought as you did at first V. It grew on me too.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.