I've seen some of these 'Gay Cultural' lists and thought "WTF?" Lady Gaga seems to top them all, but I believe there were more substantial things that happened this year.
In no order:
- The Obama Administration stop defending DOMA
- The Comic Book world continued to introduce and develop LGBT characters like Kevin Kellor, Bunker in Teen Titans, Voodoo in DC Comics, Wiccan and Hulking in The Young Avengers and Wolverine's son, Daken. In fact, there were more LGBT characters this year than before.
- We lost more teens to bullying, however our lost inspired more attention to the issue nationally. It even inspired Zachary Quinto to come out.
- New York became the 6th state to have Marriage Equality. And slightly more Americans are open to Marriage Equality this year as well.
- DADT was put to death, completely.
- Over 50 LGBT candidates won in elections.
- Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton's landmark Human Rights Day speech.
- Don Lemon comes out. Putting a face to LGBT people of color on television.
- Chaz Bono on Dancing With The Stars. He brought much needed attention to the Trans community.