Friday, December 30, 2011

My List of the Best Gay Cultural Moments Of 2011


I've seen some of these 'Gay Cultural' lists and thought "WTF?" Lady Gaga seems to top them all, but I believe there were more substantial things that happened this year.

In no order:
  • The Comic Book world continued to introduce and develop LGBT characters like Kevin Kellor, Bunker in Teen Titans, Voodoo in DC Comics, Wiccan and Hulking in The Young Avengers and Wolverine's son, Daken. In fact, there were more LGBT characters this year than before.
  • We lost more teens to bullying, however our lost inspired more attention to the issue nationally. It even inspired Zachary Quinto to come out.
  • DADT was put to death, completely.
  • Don Lemon comes out. Putting a face to LGBT people of color on television.
  • Chaz Bono on Dancing With The Stars. He brought much needed attention to the Trans community. 
­

2 comments:

Daij said...

I like this blog entry. What first came to mind when I saw the title of this entry was the abolishment of DADT. Alot more than that occurred this year. Thank you for reminding me.

Muklis Purwanto said...

That's critical isue about The Number One people in USA, I like your opinion, for me Obama is awesome people, I'm from Indonesia and he is good person to me, never forget Bali and the Indonesia kuliner (Bakso) he...he...nice to see you here, Happy new year for 2012 and wish get all the best

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.