Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Piranha 3D Producer strikes back at James Cameron


This weekend, James Cameron put the film, Piranha 3D on blast. He said that it was an example of films shouldn't be doing.

Basically, he was being a hater. However, one of the producers of Piranha 3D, Mark Canton wasn't happy about James' words and had plenty to say.

I will share some parts of Mark's long letter:
“Jim, are you kidding or what? First of all, let’s start by you accepting the fact that you were the original director of PIRANHA 2 and you were fired. Shame on you for thinking that genre movies and the real maestros like Roger Corman and his collaborators are any less auteur or impactful in the history of cinema than you. Martin Scorcese made Boxcar Bertha at the beginning of his career. And Francis Ford Coppola made Dimentia [sic] 13 back in 1963. And those are just a few examples of the talented and successful filmmakers whose roots are in genre films. Who are you to impugn any genre film or its creators?
And...
“Let’s just keep this in mind Jim….you did not invent 3D. You were fortunate that others inspired you to take it further. The simple truth is that I had nothing but good things to say about AVATAR and my own experience since I actually saw it and didn’t damn someone else’s talent publicly in order to disassociate myself from my origins in the business from which we are all very fortunate. To be honest, I found the 3D in AVATAR to be inconsistent and while ground breaking in many respects, sometimes I thought it overwhelmed the storytelling. Technology aside, I wish AVATAR had been more original in its storytelling.

I'm glad he responded. Avatar is not all that serious, and I thought the Oscars reminded James of that. Oh well.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Damn, he putting James in his place.

Joy said...

Geek fights are fun to watch. :-)

SteveA said...

I hope James Cameron does not think he is a film god?

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.