Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Delano Hunter... You lay Down with Bigots, you come up a Loser


Poor Delano Hunter. After hooking up with NOM and gaining an endorsement of The Washington Post, he still lost to D.C. City Councilmember and gay rights supporter, Harry Thomas Jr.

In fact, Delano got less than 900 votes in Ward 5. Here's more:

Thomas, a Democrat who voted for the Religious Freedom and Civil Marriage Equality Amendment Act of 2009, is confident that his vote was not just right, but also good politics, saying, ''[I]f I had been on the other side of this issue as a councilmember, I wouldn't have been as successful [in my re-election campaign].''

Thomas represents Ward 5 in Northeast D.C., which – as he described it to Metro Weekly at his campaign headquarters during a victory party on Tuesday night – has ''a large African-American population, a large Catholic community, a large Baptist and religious community.''

Referring to NOM's perceptions of his ward, Thomas said, ''People automatically assumed they would be so adamantly against someone's rights.''

Thomas, though, said that he made no such assumptions.

''I was … very confident that I could vote my conscience and my honesty and not even try and take anything into account except for the fact that what's right for people, for fairness,'' he said.

And it worked. I hope Delano learned his lesson.

source

No comments:

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.