Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Here's the Morehouse Dress Code


So here is the full text of the Dress Code at Morehouse.

It is our expectation that students who select Morehouse do so because of the College's outstanding legacy of producing leaders. On the campus and at College-sponsored events and activities, students at Morehouse College will be expected to dress neatly and appropriately at all times.

Students who choose not to abide by this policy will be denied admission into class and various functions and services of the College if their manner of attire is inappropriate.

Examples of inappropriate attire and/or appearance include but are not limited to:
1. No caps, do-rags and/or hoods in classrooms, the cafeteria, or other indoor venues. This policy item does not apply to headgear considered as a part of religious or cultural dress.

2. Sun glasses or "shades" are not to be work in class or at formal programs, unless medical documentation is provided to support use.

3. Decorative orthodontic appliances (e.g. "grillz") be they permanent or removable, shall not be worn on the campus or at College-sponsored events.

4. Jeans at major programs such as, Opening Convocation, Commencement, Founder's Day or other programs dictating professional, business casual attire, semi-formal or formal attire.

5. Clothing with derogatory, offense and/or lewd messages either in words or pictures.

6. Top and bottom coverings should be wor[n] at all times. No bare feet in public venues.

7. No sagging--the wearing of one's pants or shorts low enough to reveal undergarments or secondary layers of clothing.

8. Pajamas, shall not be worn while in public or in common areas of the College.

9. No wearing of clothing associated with women's garb (dresses, tops, tunics, purses, pumps, etc.) on the Morehouse campus or at College-sponsored events.[emphasis added]

10. Additional dress regulations may be imposed upon students participating in certain extracurricular activities that are sponsored or organized by the College (e.g. athletic teams, the band, Glee Club, etc).

11. The college reserves the right to modify this policy as deemed appropriate. *All administrative, faculty, students and support staff members are asked to assist in enforcing this policy and may report disregard or violations to the Office of Student Conduct. "

Alright, I see, but...
  1. I love my True Religions and my 7 for all Mankind Jeans.
  2. I used to wear women flares jeans because I love bell bottoms. Would that be a huge issue?
  3. Does Prada slippers count as flip flops?
  4. And would my Evil Dead T-Shirt be offensive?
  5. I couldn't rock my Louis Vuitton at all.
  6. Could you start a cross-dressing club as an extracurricular activity?
I guess I wouldn't make it at Morehouse.

Thanks for the tip, Mad Professah

5 comments:

Sozo's Blog.com said...

I don't really have a problem with this. Call me strange, but I don't get what the controversy is all about. They are establishing a dress code for their school, don't like it...do don't go. It's that simple.

Prince Todd said...

I'm going to have to agree with Sozo. I guess because, even though I love color, I dress rather conservative (my style would be considered preppy with an urban edge)...
Moorehouse is known for producing distinguished gentlemen...Why not adhere to that?
Express yourself on your own time or at another college.

YvesPaul said...

I always get their name confuse with the animated gay series House of Morecock. lol

Anonymous said...

All I have to say is "No pajamas"! Are you kidding me! If my college instituted a "no pajama" rule on campus, every single student would have been kicked out at some point in time including me everyday going to the union.

Photogipermarket.com said...

I agree....I can only agree....

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.