Saturday, June 11, 2011

My Review: Super 8


So I just saw 'Super 8', and in a nutshell... It was cute. It is one of the few original movies of the summer and it did entertain, but it just needed a bit more.

Here is my vague review of 'Super 8'
  • The kids were believable and exciting to watch.
  • The story was solid, but very Steven Spielberg-ish.
  • The monster wasn't scary at all. Actually, the monster was something I would see from Doctor Who. In fact, it felt like a DW story.
  • The characters were fun and fit the overall mood of the film. They were not planted for sex appeal or the cute factor... That's almost rare these days.
  • There was a nice nod to George Romero.
  • I didn't like the 'feel good' pieces of the movie, but it didn't distract from the film.
  • The movie is supposed to be in 1979, but there were a few discrepancies (Sony walkman and Wonder Woman's costume)
  • The collaboration of the teen movie makers were perfect.
  • In some ways, this was E.T. for a new generation.
  • It was predictable in most parts, but it was good to see original film.
In all, it was a good movie. Nice pace, good storytelling nice outcome. I recommend it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about Kyle Chandler? How could you not mention him?

Writer said...

When I first heard about Super 8, it was being touted as E.T. if E.T. were evil.

Also, I checked some dates. It is possibly that someone in the movie had a Walkman - they were first marketed in 1979. And Wonder Woman was on TV from 1975 to 1979, so that works too. :)

SteveA said...

Hi - I just posted a review of Super 8 as well on my blog! I loved it and it was nostalgic. Love the music in it - 1979 - so awesome!

Yeah - I liked the nod to Romero in it - that was cool! And also - I thought Kyle Chandler was HAWT!

Daij said...

cool, because I plan to see it this afternoon

Prince Todd said...

It was meh for me.

Jamie Paisley said...

It was indeed 'meh' for me as well. I enjoy the technical attention to detail JJ has consistently strived for.
As far as Sean's question about Kyle Chandler... Even if this were a 3D movie, his character and his acting would have remained 1D. I think Ron Eldard did a far better job as the 'adult' of the film.

Daij said...

yeah, it was ok.

Unknown said...

Gonna check it out

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.