Friday, May 13, 2011

Wonder Woman TV is a Bust… And I’m okay with that

Well, the news is out! NBC dropped Wonder Woman from it's fall lineup. But am I hurt? No, I'm actually fine with this. I was skeptical about it for awhile, but when I set down and re-read the 1987 relaunch of WW,  I realized that this WW pilot was all wrong.

The script, the actress, the concept and that blasted costume was not Wonder Woman. It was a cheap shot of getting back it on TV. It was a failed attempt to make money and it was written by a person who did not know who Diana was. David E. Kelley is a writer, but not a comic book person. He had no real love for her and it was clearly translated in the script.

The concept was stupid! Yes, I said it, STUPID! Let me count the ways.
Why would Diana own a business? Again, if he knew Diana's character he would know that Diana would spend more time fighting crime than trying to sell her own dolls.

Veronica Cale as a villain? Child Cheese. That was another bad choice. She wasn't a villain worthy of being seen. That was a joke.

Those multiple identities were crappy. She's an amazon, why would she cry at night for a normal life. SHE IS NOT A NORMAL PERSON! That's poor character development.

That costume was a bust!  Nuff said.

And Adrianne? She is a very pretty girl, but I didn't see Diana in her. Maybe Donna (Wonder Girl, Troia), but not Diana. Jaimie Alexander (Lady Sif from Thor) would have been great, but she passed because of the script. It wasn't good enough for her. In fact, rumor has it that her rejection raised flags (Again, RUMOR).

She was killing folks for no reason... FAIL.

She cried like 3 times in the pilot... FAIL part 45.

How could she be a vigilante, but work with the cops?

Again, I'm fine with this being dead. Maybe the next go around will be better. So, R.I.P. NBC Wonder Woman.

5 comments:

Judy C. Adanna said...

I agree with you on all counts; I can't decide if I want whatever they filmed to get out on the net. I might be able to have a few cocktails and make fun of it with friends, or it might be too much of a travesty to laugh at like we do Showgirls and Glitter.

Damien said...

I am not even going to say RIP - good riddance to bad shit.....

Anonymous said...

I didn't shed any tears when this happened. I wanted it to be good but oh well. David E. Kelley should stick to law shows since there's a ton of them on TV all the time.

Unknown said...

Well, I can't wait for the pilot to hit the web. I want to see it. And I've still never seen the failed Global Frequency pilot.

karl said...

Horrendous...I just knew ther pilot would turn out like this. good job it never went to series.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.