Friday, July 3, 2009

Interesting Quote: Michael Bay


It’s interesting that you want to focus on acting. Megan Fox, one of the leads in “Transformers” has criticized your films for being special-effects-driven and not offering so many acting opportunities. Do you agree?

Well, that’s Megan Fox for you. She says some very ridiculous things because she’s 23 years old and she still has a lot of growing to do. You roll your eyes when you see statements like that and think, “Okay Megan, you can do whatever you want. I got it.” But I 100% disagree with her. Nick Cage wasn’t a big actor when I cast him, nor was Ben Affleck before I put him in “Armageddon.” Shia LaBeouf wasn’t a big movie star before he did “Transformers”—and then he exploded. Not to mention Will Smith and Martin Lawrence, from “Bad Boys.” Nobody in the world knew about Megan Fox until I found her and put her in “Transformers.” I like to think that I’ve had some luck in building actors’ careers with my films.


via-WSJ

4 comments:

D.J. said...

Wow how ridiculous is this man..how large his ego! He cast these people while there careers where on the rise and some how he "discovered" them.

On a more important note it is funny that all the people he mentioned are not really actors. I mean they do well enough with the scripts given to them, but honestly when did you see Nick Cage , Martin Lawrence, or Ben Affleck in a role and they actually were acting the point you forgot they where themselves? None of these people listed are Merrel Streep caliber actors, they have done very well because at the end of the day Hollywood has decided that personalities matter more than actual acting chops.

(And really would Nicholas Cage have a career if it were not for nepatism?)

Prince Todd said...

Uhm, Michael Bay is a DICKHEAD. God disgusts me and I'll NEVER watch another movie that he directs again EVER...

Uhm...

1.) Will Smith had a television show AND a Rap career prior to Bad Boys...

2.) Martin Lawrence was on a hit television series PRIOR to Bad Boys...

3.) Ben Affleck was won the OSCAR for best screenplay before Armageddon...

4.) Nick Cage was in a little John Woo film called FACE OFF (which was infinitely superior to CON AIR)...

Even though I am not a super fan of Megan Fox she is absolutely right. Transformers 2 was garbage. Hell, Shia Lebeauf only starred in it because he was contractually obligated. He barely did any promotion for that piece of crap.

I'm convinced that Michael Bay would be a professional arsonist if he weren't directing his stupid movies that consist of nothing but explosions.

His next film: The World Blows up.

He should have fun making that one.

Joy said...

Love these comments!

Anonymous said...

How ridiculous are you people. Michael Bay is a fantastic director! and none of you could ever do what he is doing, I call him a genius. so what if he as an ego! what the hell are you bitching about!! why dont one of you try and do what he does and get succes I bet that you can't cause you are to beasy bitching! I hate people like you!!! grow up you are ridiculous!!

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.