Friday, July 17, 2009

Screenwriting is Da Bomb


So my screenwriting class is going well, very well. The students are very eager and excited about the program. I'm just happy to be there and while I'm the oldest one, I still feel like a freshmen in college.

We have had several assignments like: creating atmosphere, scenes without dialogue, creating stories from random conversations and surprise moments.

In my first assignment, I made a B+. I wasn't happy about that (yes, I'm that person), but it only inspired me to do better. I realized I was thinking too hard about the assignments. I needed to chill and let it happen and once I did, nothing but A's.

I almost got teary-eyed because the my teacher was impressed with my work. It felt so good to read her reviews of my scripts.

To be honest, I finally feel that I can do this. After receiving 3 A's, writing my first short movie doesn't seem so scary. It will be a challenging time, but one I will truly enjoy.

6 comments:

Bob said...

Congrats!
I know what that's like to have someone you respect be impressed with your writing, especially since you love doing it.
Keep it up, "A" man.

Anonymous said...

Great to hear it's going well! Maybe when I finish my screenplay, you can read it and give me some edits.

Joy said...

Way to go! I'm so glad you're enjoying it and doing well! I'd like to hear more about what you're learning since those assignment topics intrigue me. I taught creative writing and like to learn more about it.

That does feel good, and I'm glad you're getting positive feedback.

Anonymous said...

Good job! I figured out my strategy in college. Liberal arts courses like Business Law, I didn't give a rats ass about. Couldn't have cared less.

I did mostly A level work though, graduated magna cum laude so I wasn't slacking off. But that's because I loved most of those classes, sociology included.

I have a feeling you're going to do well in this class.

David Dust said...

Excellent job - keep up the great work!!

XOXOXOXOXOXO

Anonymous said...

I'm envious, but very happy for you. I'm certain you will always do well with this sort of thing. Best wishes for much success with it.
hugz

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.