Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thoughts about the Gay Sting Operations in Public Places


So I noticed there has been a lot of sting operations and arrest due to men seeking men in the parks and public bathrooms. It seems almost every month there’s a bust involving many men. While some of them are outwardly gay, others are married, church folk, or government officials. Many argue these sting operations are wrong and targets gay men. But I wonder, is it really the case? These operations targets gay men because it’s gay men who are out there. You don’t hear about lesbians seeking sex in Jellystone park.

I have talked about this issue a few months ago. I understand there’s an excitement about getting caught and what have you, but I also think it gives us this predatory, guilt, caveman image that we should not harbor. I always thought that these actions were somewhat ancient and not really an issue unless you are in P-town, but I’m totally out of touch; it’s still happening. But I wish these men would stop for a second and think about the consequences.

For a cheap thrill, they can lose everything and maybe catch something. Plus the media blitz on these cases doesn’t help us when it comes to anything political or law wise. While this is an old tradition/rite of passage type of thing in our world, it’s still a risky and dangerous thing. I know it’s hard to deal with sexuality, but putting yourself in harm’s way is not the best answer. However, if folks like it just be smart, safe, aware.

No comments:

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.