Monday, March 9, 2015

Star Wars gets their first LGBT Character


I thought this was interesting.

In the new Star Wars novel, "Lords of the Sith," writer Paul S. Kemp will introduce a new (and the first) LGBT character in the series!

The character's name is Moff Mors, who's an Imperial and a lesbian.

Here's more
Shelly Shapiro, editor of "Star Wars" books at Del Rey, talked to me about this for the Full of Sith podcast. During that interview I asked her about the inclusion of this character in the book. She explained that it wasn't necessarily about making a statement, but simply reflecting the diversity in the universe.

"This is certainly the first character in canon," Shapiro says. "But there was a gay Mandalorian couple, so it's not brand new. It's not something I really think about, it just makes sense. There's a lot of diversity–there should be diversity in "Star Wars." You have all these different species and it would be silly to not also recognize that there's a lot of diversity in humans. If there's any message at all, it's simply that "Star Wars" is as diverse (or more so because they have alien species) as humanity is in real life and we don't want to pretend it's not. It just felt perfectly natural."
Hope to be hearing more about Moff!

source

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, that's good. But it's like the wind was let out of my sails when I read it was a woman character. I just realized that I really wanted to read about a gay male character, lol. Oh well, I guess I'll research the "gay Mandalorian couple."

duniaku said...

"i like this movie so much"

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.