Wednesday, March 18, 2015

'You're Cute For A Black Guy' takes a look Race and Dating in the Gay Community

I'm glad someone made this.

Race and dating in the gay community is an interesting beast. For many of us, we endure such overt and covert versions of racism you wouldn't believe.

"You're Cute For A Black Guy" is a short documentary from filmmaker Cameron Johnson that tackles those issues head on. The men on here are speaking the truth, trust me. As crazy as some of these statements may sound to you, it is our reality.

In HuffPo, Cameron said:
"I made this piece because I wanted to make sure that I wasn’t crazy. I couldn’t be the only gay black man who white dates have said insane things to, so I ventured to find others who shared my experiences. What I discovered is that my story isn’t uncommon, it’s just untold... I hope that my work will help to broaden the discussions of what it looks like to be a gay man in 2015, and give people insight into worlds they haven’t understood. Also, seriously never say any of these things to black men again."

No comments:

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.