Thursday, August 1, 2013

Real Talk: Are we stepping on Russian LGBT Activists' Toes?


Just a couple of things about this Russia business.

Now, I agree what they are doing is wrong and shameful towards us, no doubt.

But, when I see and hear the LGBT Russian activists tell us the deal, I think we should listen to them. It seems we are trying to tell them how to do their activism. While it's great we are being good activist buddies, I think we should listen to them and follow their directions.

I mean, they are in the middle of this, so I rather follow their lead. I'm not completely hating on our efforts, I just think we can show them a bit of respect on how to assist them in this Olympics ordeal. If anyone feeling the impact of this madness, it's them.

So, if they say don't boycott vodka or the Olympics, let's listen to them and take notes. There's no need to make this a 'Rocky 4' ( We're number 1) like matter.

If you have opinions, please chime in.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm officially concerned about Sochi. Word came out today the Russian government will indeed arrest gay athletes.

K. Clark said...

I agree. While it's good activists over here are aware and speaking out, Russian LGBT activists are living it day in and day out. They know the deal better than us.

BloggerJoe said...

I'm torn. I agree with everything you've said, but then we hear things like what R.J. said. I want to be supportive and use the events to highlight the atrocities, but I also want to keep our people safe.

Anonymous said...

I remember when Americans too got arrested back in the day, so is Russia that far behind us. I do not want to look back but ahead.Putin needs another facelift so he see straight and hate. I feel the man is unstable.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.