Thursday, August 8, 2013

AIDS Activists Sean Sasser has Died




Wow, this hits hard.

Remember Sean Sasser?

He was Pedro Zamora's boyfriend on the 3rd season of the Real World. He was one of the first Black gay men I saw on television. He wasn't a character, he was a real guy at a time where it was so few Black gay guys on TV.

A couple of years later, I met Sean. He was on the college speaker circuit, talking about HIV and AIDS. He was a guest at my university. I was in awe of him, in fact, I told him hold inspiring he was to me and my friends. He smile and said "Thank You"... Sean passed away yesterday.

His partner, Michael J Kaplan wrote this on his Facebook page:
With broken heart over the loss of my life mate – I share the news that Sean Franklin Sasser passed away early this evening, August 7, 2013. Having lived for 25 years with HIV, at the age of 44, Sean died after a short but difficult battle with Mesothelioma.

Sean was many things to many people – to me, he was the love of my life, my spouse, and all that is good. To others, he’s been a mentor, a foster parent, a pastry chef, an activist, an artists, a care taker, a family member, a best friend, and admired colleague, a tv personality and so much more. To each and every one of us, he was something special.

As per Sean’s wish, his body will be cremated, with ashes spread to places he’s been or longed to go. And while ashes spread, we hope friends will gather, whether at the Memorial I organize, or at Memorials others may choose to organize throughout the many places and communities Sean has touched.
Sean will be missed

2 comments:

Bob said...

RIP Sean
You blazed a trail many still follow.

Anonymous said...

Rip to this day I still hate that fucking Puck. Sean found love after all. Great, I am happy he did.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.