Monday, June 24, 2013

My Highlights of Netroots Nation


I spent 5 days with a bunch of progressives at Netroots Nation. It was truly a good time and I loved hanging out, educating folks and being refreshed in the activist game.

I'll share some highlights:

  • The LGBT connect was very strong this year. A lot of new people and new discussions. However, there were a lack of people of color present. That has to change.
  • With marriage possibly moving aside, the focus is on ENDA. The plan to achieve this will be tough.
  • Theme of the conference was 'No Heckling'
  • Actually talked to GetEQUAL members and expressed my concerns. And guess what, they listened.
  • The economy, immigration, and women's rights were a huge part of the conference.
  • During the Black Caucus, we struggled to agree on a Black Agenda or a need for one.
  • During the LGBT Caucus we met Barney Frank.
  • It was noted that LGBT activists need to develop cohesive and long-term strategies.
  • I asked for real conversations about Race and the LGBT community.
  • The sessions were very informative and productive.
  • I learned in the tech world, more and more techies of color are on the rise.
  • Howard Dean is short.
  • Hecklers are usually two steps away from madness.
  • Some of the aggressive messaging we use for LGBT equality falls on deaf ears.
  • I suggested that we step out of the bubble to bring more folks in.
  • As progressives, we can party anywhere... Like baseball fields.
  • I've made some good friends from Netroots.
  • I'm not really a social drinker.
  • LGBT activists struggle with fashion.
  • The student loan debt is really out of hand.
  • Black progressive are the future.
  • Blerds
  • Coalition building is highly important and paramount to our movement.

2 comments:

Ron Buckmire said...

Blerds? Is that "Black nerds"?

Unknown said...

Sounds like a fun and informative time. Maybe one day I can attend.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.