Wednesday, February 2, 2011

GOP Senator will Support Gay Marriage in Maryland


Just when I thought I got the GOP figured out, a guy named, Allan H. Kittleman changes things. This REPUBLICAN  Senator will give his full support for gay marriage in Maryland.
With the announcement, Kittleman became the first -- and will probably be the only -- Senate Republican to back one of the most high-profile bills of the 90-day session. When the full chamber considers the bill in coming weeks, the vote is expected to be very close.

Kittleman said he plans to testify next week at a scheduled hearing on the bill.

In addressing reporters and in a statement, Kittleman referenced his late father, former state Sen. Robert H. Kittleman (R-Howard).

"I was raised by a gentleman who joined with others in fighting racial discrimination in the 1950s and 1960s," Kittleman said. "Watching him fight for civil rights instilled in me the belief that everyone, regardless of race, sex, national origin or sexual orientation, is entitled to equal rights."
Kittleman said that he is a "strong follower of Jesus Christ" and belongs to a conservative church, but added: "I really believe as a legislator, I don't vote based on my faith."
Now, if other repubs would follow his lead.

 source

1 comment:

EMikeGarcia said...

That last quote, "I don't vote based on my faith," is a great one.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.