Monday, February 21, 2011

Rambling Post: Big Changes brings Big Doubts


WARNING- This is a rambling post!

Some of my friends are making some big changes in their lives. My oldest friend, Derrick, may be leaving his safe haven in Murray, KY. He's been there most of his adult life. My other best friend, Tavares, may be leaving NYC to live here in Los Angeles.

With them making such bold steps, I got to thinking about my life and my career. I'm in a very good place in my current career: I get to travel, I make real good money and the benefits are on point... But, I want to try something new. Most of you know I'm looking at screenwriting as another career move. I've been taking some classes and entering a few screenwriting contests, you know, trying to get my feet wet in the biz.

However, my doubts are jabbing me in gut. There are days when I think, "Am I too old?" or "Is it too late to do this?" I know I'm silly for thinking these thoughts, but it happens. Every time I think about classes or the next script, these thoughts just shake me up.

Still, I have to take this chance. I have to see what's really out there. I'm in the right place and hopefully this is the right time. I just have to get over my doubts. It's hard, but I have to work through this. Sorry for this rambling post, but it's been on my mind for awhile now; especially since I've turned 37.

But I have to see this through, I just have to.

7 comments:

Daddy Squeeze Me! said...

WELL BETTER YOU ACTUALLY GET OUT THERE THAN STUCK SINGING YOUR SHOULDVE COULDVE WOULDVES.......AND AFTER ALL, IT IS TIMES LIKE THESE WHERE WE CAN NOT STRESS ENOUGH THAT YOU ONLY HAVE ONE SHOT AT THIS THING...DONT BLOW IT! YOU HAVE MANY MANY OUTLETS TO EXPRESS YOURSELF...EVEN IF SOME BIGGIE DOESNT GIVE YOU THE CHANCE...THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING LIKE THE INTERNET WHICH YOU ARE DOING DAMN GOOD AT NOW....SO YOU ARE BLESSED TO HAVE LIVED DURING THIS TIME WITH THESE TOOLS...USE LIKE THERE IS NO TOMORROW AND BANG IT OUT....FEAR OF FAILURE ONLY ALLOWS MORE SANDS TO FALL THROUGH THE HOUR GLASS WITHOUT YOU KNOWING.


WE LOVE YOU,
:)
BEST OF LUCK!

Damien said...

You do have to do it :)

Go for it - you dont even have to give up your day job.

Cubby said...

Oh V, I hate the be the bearer of bad news. Don't hate me! But I think with this contemplative post you just entered what's known as your "middle age".

Those words cut, but I know you can take it. You got a lot of opportunity in front of you. You are a skilled writer with great style and creativity. I have no doubt you'll put it to good use and achieve much success.

Being middle-aged is not all bad. I'm happier now in my middle age than I was in my youth, by a longshot. And I wouldn't go back. You'll find happiness too. It's all around us. We just have to open our eyes to it.

Bob said...

Do it.
Take the chance. I call it "Shaking The Etch-a-Sketch. And it's fun.

Robyn said...

Keep going with the screen writing. When I took my current job, I knew it might be a weigh station before I find what I really want to do. Of course, no one's hiring so I'm doing it a little longer than I'd like.

I'm exploring my own self issues at the moment now that I have the courage to embrace them. It might take me months, even years to sort things out but I'm comfortable with who I am even if others may or may not be.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do -- and you're never too old to make a change.

Allan S. said...

I worked in an office pushing papers for 20 years and knew I could not do it for another 20. Dude, I went back to school to get my special ed teacher certification at the age of 38!

It was the best decision I have ever made.

In this day and age people explore new ways of working and living all the time, in order to thrive within their purpose and passion.

Keep writing and putting your stuff out there.

Unknown said...

You are not too old! Because we're practically the same age. :)

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.