Saturday, June 5, 2010

Here's what you need to know about Batman 3 from Christopher Nolan


In Empire magazine, Christopher Nolan revealed some info about Batman 3.

  • No Joker! The will be no Joker in the film. Christopher said so.
"No" says Nolan, emphatically and unhesitatingly. "I just don't feel comfortable talking about it"
  • The Penguin, King Tut, Poison Ivy and Mr. Freeze are not considered for the 3rd flick. But The Riddler and Catwoman could make an appearance.
  • Christopher has an idea of the film.
"My brother Jonathan is working on the screenplay. We came up with a story that we are very exited about. We particularly like where we are taking the characters and what the ending is. There are things for me to be very exited about in addressing the characters again, but ultimately it always comes down to the script, and can we make a great film from this? Thats something I will firmly be turning my attention to figuring out fairly soon. [This film will be] the ending of a story rather than infinitely blowing up the balloon and expanding the story"
  • There won't be a Batman & Superman Swirl... well Christopher doesn't want it.
"Marvel are doing what they are doing and people will either respond to that really well or they won't. Its not something I ever applied a blanket rule to, but Marvel characters are very different to DC characters....You've got to go back to that element of "What do I see when I close my eyes and think of Batman/Superman?" And for me a big part of that is their individuality. They are extraordinary beings in an ordinary world....they are two very different characters but theres an elemental feeling of power in the iconography of those characters. To me thats originally because they stood alone, I need to hang onto that in my imagining of them"
  • Christopher has not signed on for Batman 3, but is very invested in it.
" No, I haven't. There is a point where your just being precious about it and people get annoyed, but the God's honest truth is I work on one movie at a time(Inception), I'm only capable of doing that, so my head will continue to be firmly in this movie for the next few months."
So that's what you need to know for now.

source

3 comments:

Jay Six said...

Catwoman & The Riddler are perfect for Nolan's Batman universe. They'll lighten it up just slightly while not breaking the mood completely. Hope they borrow liberally from The Long Halloween & Dark Victory if they make the cut.

WilsonW said...

Agreed Jay. They feel a lot more down to earth and regular compared to my mental image of the Penguin or Mister Freeze. They feel a bit over the top as far as believability is concerned. CatWoman and Riddler are believable.

However, Supes and Bats is a different gig. This movie version of Batman still feels like he's in his infancy and doesn't measure up yet to being a believable counterpart or partner to Supes. He's still got some developing to do. They haven't yet developed the parts of Batman that make him Supes equal or even possibly better.

Scott said...

Good info on Batman 3, thanks!

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.