Sunday, June 13, 2010

Interesting Quote: Roy Ashburn


The best I can do is to say that I was hiding. I was so in terror I could not allow any attention to come my way. So any measure that had to do with the subject of sexual orientation was an automatic "no" vote. I was paralyzed by this fear, and so I voted without even looking at the content. The purpose of government is to protect the rights of people under the law, regardless of our skin color, national origin, our height, our weight, our sexual orientation. This is a nation predicated on the belief that there is no discrimination on those characteristics, and so my vote denied people equal treatment, and I'm truly sorry for that.


This is Roy explaining why he voted against his own people.


source

1 comment:

Cubby said...

I believe he is being sincere, and I hope he now acts aggressively to counter his bad deeds from the past.

His term ends soon. I hope he continues his public service in some way, possibly running for office as an out gay man, I wish him luck.

There are dozens or hundreds more politicians around the US who are in the same position Ashburn was in. It is important to identify them and out them so that they too may change their ways.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.