Monday, April 6, 2009

Are Geeks Elitists?


I was thinking about this question over the weekend. I think we (geeks) have the tendency to think we are above the 'common' people. I didn't want to believe it, but I think we are.

Here's why I'm feelin' what I'm feelin':
  • We don't need to fit in, we think that our originality set us above the American Apparel/Ed Hardy crowd.
  • We don't buy the iPhone and Blackberry for the image. We can actually use them to its full advantage.
  • We look at films like Fast & Furious as long commercials, while praising flicks like Clockwork Orange as true works of art.
  • We can read.
  • We can read books from 1880s.
  • We can see the future outside of Earth and race.
  • We can look beyond someone's outer beauty...their understanding of Firefly and BSG turns us on.
  • We actually keep most companies afloat or functioning.
  • We are smart and strategic...and we know it.
  • Most of us are silent or introverted because the folks around us are stupid. (I'm extroverted, BTW)
  • We join music, honor and business fraternities. Social ones will drive us insane.
  • We are pretty good heroes and villains.
  • We believe that Texas is social problem that can be solved through science.
  • We can almost rule the world.
Yes, this list is silly, but I do think we are a cut above the rest.

5 comments:

Eric Arvin said...

The line about Texas is hilarious

Anonymous said...

Yes we are elite. I say this because as an I.T. geek I have a sixth sense about things.

Clearest example, we had some munged SQL on a server that would occasionally cause MySQL to consume every CPU cycle. The solution when it happened was to rebuild a couple of indexes and all was well.

I wrote a script to restart the MySQL instance once a week late Sunday evening but was told not to do that because "What if something breaks?"

When they laid me off I told them in both writing and verbally that every now and then, roughly every month or two, they'd run into problems because the same server hosted our external web presence. I explained how to fix it, etc.

Well I happened by the archives one day and stopped to say hello. Told them that they could expect the web services to crash hard within about 2 months.

Sure enough.

I love giving my advice and counsel because there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Suppose that makes me an arrogant geek but so be it.

the dogs' mother said...

chortle! I am the mother of a geek. Gorilla Boy was Computer Geek before he went off to college and spent $178 on a gorilla suit and was renamed Gorilla Boy by David Dust.
Though I'd have to draw the line at reading - did you know that dyslexia is sometimes called the MIT disease? Anyway Gorilla Boy did not learn to read independently until age 13. In kindergarten, however, he tested out at 6th grade in math skills.

Also - the line about Texas - priceless!

Prince Todd said...

Okay, I was with you until the line about Texas!
Grrrrr...lol.

EMikeGarcia said...

Sometimes all we can do is close our eyes, and shake our heads.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.